Saturday, August 6, 2011

Footprints in the Sand


explanation in the post below
To many many people, both Christian and non christian, Footprints in the sand is a well know poem. It has graced many a poster, bookmark and card. The words it speaks are comforting as they speak about our walk though life with God. At times when we are coping there are two sets of footprints, ours and Gods, but at times where we go though struggles there is one set. That set belongs to God. That's when he picks us up in his arms and carries us through the tough times.
For many years no one knew the author, although many people tried to claim ownership. In the end the writer was proved to be Mary Stevenson (Zangare).

as a young girl, mary had hand written copies of the poem to give to friends when they were going through tough times in their lives;

It was sometime after this that friends of Mary saw it in print and wondered why she wasn't given credit for writing it. Solicitors told her that it would be very hard to prove her the author since it had been used by many publishers of religious materials and greeting cards. Mary wrote 'Footprints' in 1936 when she was very young and knew nothing of copyrighting. She didn't follow up her claims until in 1984 when clearing out her garage, she found an original copy and with carbon dating and other tests, Mary was officially recognised as the writer.

Leona Lewis' version changes the word slightly, but doesn't detract from the meaning.

You walked with me
Footprints in the sand
And helped me understand
Where I'm going
You walked with me
When I was all alone
With so much I no along the way
Then I heard you say

I promise you
I'm always there
When your heart is filled with sorrow and despair
I'll carry you
When you need a friend
You'll find my footprints in the sand

I see my life
Flash across the sky
So many times have I
Been so afraid
And just when I
Have thought I've lost my way
You give me strength to carry on
That's when I heard you say

Chorus

When I'm weary
Well I no you'll be there
And I can feel you
When you say

I promise youI'm always there
When your heart is filled with sorrow and despair
I'll carry you
When you need a friend
You'll find my footprints in the sand

As encouraging today as when it was written in 1936!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...