Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Approaching Easter - With friends like these

With Friends like these, who needs enemies?

Ever felt let down by your friends?


Jesus had friends and followers, then there were twelve appointed friends who were like his best friends. The ones he could trust and that he went places and did things with.

Today's post looks particularly at two of those friends Peter and Judas.

Judas. He was known among the disciples to be light fingered. He carried the money bag around and was known for dipping his hand in to it. Jesus knew his imperfections and yet still held him dear. "I am not referring to all of you; I know those I have chosen. But this is to fulfill the scripture: 'He who shares my bread has lifted up his heel against me.' Said Jesus at the last supper.
He was referring to Judas. he knew that Judas was going to betray him. Jesus was aware of how the next few days were going to pan out.
After he had said this, Jesus was troubled in spirit and testified, "I tell you the truth, one of you is going to betray me.
"His disciples stared at one another, at a loss to know which of them he meant. One of them, the disciple whom Jesus loved, was reclining next to him. Simon Peter motioned to this disciple and said, "Ask him which one he means".
Leaning back against Jesus, he asked him, "Lord, who is it?"
Jesus answered, "It is the one to whom I will give this piece of bread when I have dipped it in the dish." Then, dipping the piece of bread, he gave it to Judas Iscariot, son of Simon.
As soon as Judas took the bread, Satan entered into him.
"What you are about to do, do quickly," Jesus told him, but no one at the meal understood why Jesus said this to him.
Since Judas had charge of the money, some thought Jesus was telling him to buy what was needed for the Feast, or to give something to the poor.
As soon as Judas had taken the bread, he went out. And it was night. (John 13 18 - 30)

Jesus Friend problems didn't end there either. His friend Peter would also play out a role. That of disowning Jesus.
Peter said: "Lord, I am ready to go with you to prison and to death."Jesus answered, "I tell you, Peter, before the rooster crows today, you will deny three times that you know me." (Luke 22 34.) Even though Jesus was in full knowledge of these facts, I'm sure the pain he felt at these Revelations must have been great

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...